HOME PORT MY MODELS > LOBSTER SMACK > DAY SAILER > SMUGGLER > SAILING SCOW > CRABBING SKIFF > DORA BELLA > JOLLY BOAT > BLUENOSE II > ARMED VIRGINIA SLOOP > COLONIAL FERRY > COLONIAL FERRY 2 > CRAB SCRAPING BOAT

> CRAB SCRAPE PAGE 2

> CRAB SCRAPE PAGE 3 > EMMA C. BERRY > ALMA > HANNAH > LARK > CLERMONT > NANTUCKET > PINKY SCHOONER > BUYBOAT > FLATTIE KITS FOR NOVICES TOOLS TECHNIQUES MUSEUMS LINKS ABOUT ME

Click on the pictures below for larger versions in a pop-up window.

October 12 & 13, 2006

Over the past few evenings, I got the interior finished and ready to paint. I primed it first, then painted it a light green color, which is traditional for this type boat. I bought a air sprayer some time back and am still learning to use it. It was perfect for this application though. The boat is large and way too hard to paint by hand with a brush.

Unpainted Interior
Unpainted Interior
Painted Interior
Painted Interior
October 13, 2006

While the paint inside was drying, I started making the three pulleys I need for the steering mechanism. The picture below is the first one. I wanted these to look like standard galvanized pulleys you'd buy at any hardware store. I carved them out of boxwood but I was puzzled about how to attach an eye. There just wasn't much room to drill a hole in the end and insert a wire eye. A fellow modeler, John Kowalla, came up with a solution for me. I notched the sides and base of the pulley and stropped it with a thin wire. Solder was applied to the end of the wire so I could eventually drill out a hole to make an eye. In order to hide the wire stropping and to make it stronger, I applied epoxy over the wire and when it was cured, filed it down to shape. The silver paint hides it all.

The overall length is 1/4" or 4" at scale. That may be slightly large. I suspect 3 inches might be more correct for the real boat. But these pulleys look about right on the model, so I'm happy with them.

Pulleys
Pulleys
Bucket
Bucket
October 19, 2006

Shown on the right, above, is a little "galvanized" bucket I made today. Made it out of ordinary card stock (with the bail made of brass wire) then painted with silver paint. A little thinned brown paint simulates the rust. This will eventually go over the exhaust stack. I worked on that too today but it's not quite done yet.

Decks installed
Decks
Painted hull and deck
Painted hull and Deck
October 31, 2006

Got the decks cut out and glued on. They are as yet unpainted (nor is the outside of the hull painted). Just visible on the left is one of the coamings being bent to shape to match the rise of the deck. I had to install the tiller & rudder post before I installed the decks. I only realized later that I'd failed to drill a hole for the prop shaft. That may be "interesting" to do now since the rudder post is in the way. I'll figure it out.

November 30, 2006

Had a little vacation the first two weeks of November, so no modeling. Finally got back to it the past two weeks and now have the hull and decks painted as shown in the right-hand image above. Still quite a lot of detail work yet to do but it's starting to look much better with some paint on it. I really like the color scheme. The motor cover was just placed in the boat for this shot. Not quite ready to permanently install it - I have a bit more work to do on it plus I have to make, install, and rig the steering stick.

December 8, 2006

I am now down to working on the final details. The picture on the left, below, shows the engine cover and the throttle and shift controls. Also, the "muffler" I made for the exhaust stack. The engine controls are made from straight pins with plastic heads. I molded some epoxy putty around the pins and then shaped it and painted it silver. The muffler is simply a piece of dowel, drilled out to fit over the exhaust pipe and then covered with a piece of cloth, also painted silver.

On the right is a crab scrape. I haven't yet made up my mind that I'm happy with it. It looks a little junky sitting there, but I suppose the real thing would too. Have to think about this one for a while.

Engine cover & controls
Engine Cover & Controls
Crab Scrape
Crab Scrape
December 12

Making good progress on the final details. Today, I was in the mood to make some bushel baskets. Too bad I don't have some miniature crabs to go in them :-)

Baskets
Baskets

Back to Crab Scape Page 1 Return to Page 1

Forward Forward to Page 3