HOME PORT MY MODELS > LOBSTER SMACK > DAY SAILER > SMUGGLER > SAILING SCOW > CRABBING SKIFF > DORA BELLA > JOLLY BOAT > BLUENOSE II > ARMED VIRGINIA SLOOP > AVS CONSTRUCTION 1

> AVS CONSTRUCTION 2

> AVS ARTICLES > COLONIAL FERRY > COLONIAL FERRY 2 > CRAB SCRAPING BOAT > EMMA C. BERRY > ALMA > HANNAH > LARK > CLERMONT > NANTUCKET > PINKY SCHOONER > BUYBOAT > FLATTIE KITS FOR NOVICES TOOLS TECHNIQUES MUSEUMS LINKS ABOUT ME

Bluenose II

Making the steering wheel was fun but labor intensive. I don't have a lathe, so I turned the handles using a Dremel tool. I chucked a short length of boxwood into the Dremel, then shaped it with files and sand paper. I didn't much like the first wheel I made, so I did it a second time and that one came out better. In any case, I think it beats the pitiful casting included in the kit!

The anchor buoys turned out to be the most difficult little job I have yet tackled in my modeling career. Those suckers are VERY small. I had to use 0.010" line to make the rope slings and I think it took me a good 10 attempts before I got one that I was willing to accept (and they still aren't that great). Then I had to make another! But the second one was much easier once I'd figured out how to do it in the first place.

Not a lot of progress to show between September and November (where did the time go!?!?). As you can see by the view of the deck, I got the bowsprit rigged and had lots of rigging line lying on the deck. I was working on the main sail at the time, so I could start rigging the mast. That couldn't be done until I got the sail sewn on to the mast hoops. You can also see a picture of my first-ever mouse (on the forestay). I think it came out pretty well! It's woven about like the real thing would be.

As of December/January, I was working on rigging. I finally got the starboard-side ratlines done on Jan 9th. I spent very little time working on the boat during December, however. I finished up the main sail, as you can see in the Jan 9th picture. As of Jan 26, I had the topsail completed and installed on the yard. The three foresails are also completed and attached to the stays. Most of the rigging was in place although much of it remained to be tightened and tied. I finally completed the boat on Feb 3rd, 2004.

Rigged cannon
September 02 , 2003
Stern view
September 02, 2003
Steering WHeel
September 07, 2003
Anchor and buoy
September 24 , 2003
Cluttered deck
November 30, 2003
Mouse
November 30 , 2003
Standing rigging started
January 09, 2004
Sails rigged
January 26, 2004
Riding Bitts
February 03, 2004
Finsihed Model
February 03 , 2004